M. Bordegoni (1), G. Faconti (2), M. T. Maybury (3),
T. Rist (4),
S. Ruggieri (5), P. Trahanias (6), M. Wilson (7)
(1) CNR ITIA, Milano, Italy - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) CNR CNUCE, Pisa, Italy - email: email@example.com
(3) MITRE Corp., Bedford, MA, USA - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(4) DFKI GmbH, Saarbrücken, Germany - email: email@example.com
(5) Università di Pisa, Pisa, Italy - email: ruggieri@DI.Unipi.IT
(6) FORTH-ICS, Heraklion, Greece - email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(7) CRLC-RAL, Chilton, Didcot, UK - email: email@example.com
18 January 1997
This paper summarizes the main results of a joint endeavor towards a standard reference model for intelligent multimedia presentation systems (IMMPS's). After a brief motivation, we give basic definitions for media terms and presentation systems. The core of this contribution is a generic reference architecture which reflects an implementation independent view of the processes required for the generation of multimedia presentations. The reference architecture is described in terms of layers, components, and knowledge servers. Our RM focuses on the indication of functions assigned to the layers and components, rather than focusing on methods, or communication protocols which may be employed to realize the functionalities. Finally, we point to some possible extensions of the reference model.
The work described in this paper has been carried out under the auspices of the ERCIMComputer Graphics Network, with financial support from the EU Human Capital and Mobility Programme (contract CHRX-CT93-0085).
A PostScript version is also available.
LIDOS reference number: u1997-01