[mary-dev] Could AudioPlayer be a interface?

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Fri Oct 16 07:57:37 CEST 2009

I think it is a very good idea to clean up the audio player "corner".
Yes it is unsatisfactory to have various different audio players. I
don't particularly care if they are threads or Runnables, as long as
they play the audio.

Feel free to suggest an interface and to outline how the different
implementations of audio players could be adapted to implement it:

the freetts audio player;
the MARY audio player (marytts.util.data.audio.AudioPlayer)

The other idea, embedding audio into XML, could you make that clearer
please? How would you embed binary data into an XML document?

Regards,
Marc

Paulo Levi schrieb:
> I'm trying to do audio streaming, and besides the interface being
> slightly unfriendly (all strings, misdocumented - wrong order and
> number of arguments) i'm having the problem that i've made a my own
> version of the audioplayer (to support pausing) and i can use it in
> the streaming call.
>
> AudioPlayer should not extend thread, but implement runnable. If
> you're want to allow people to join() it, return the thread
>
> Besides that i actually think that streamAudio should not create a
> thread, or at least have a variant that doesn't, since i am already
> dividing my speakable tasks into a thread, simply because i don't want
> to block the edt (or any other event thread that this voice can be
> called on).
>
> On another matter i've thought about a way that you can support
> notifications without another client thread. You could embed the audio
> into a xml file (bettwen the pause information). So that a streaming
> audioplayer would read the next audio - send notification -next audio
> -send notification.

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: