[mary-dev] Phonetic transcriptions

Fabio Tesser fabio.tesser at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 12:54:11 CET 2010

Hello,

Using the DatabaseSelector (point 6 of
http://mary.opendfki.de/wiki/NewLanguageSupport) I was thinking that
should be useful to have the phonetic transcriptions of the selected
sentences into a file (i.e. selected_transcriptions.log). This because
it should be useful to check the transcription of the selected
sentences. This should be also a like to have feature in the
SynthesisScriptGUI.

I would like to add this feature into the DatabaseSelector procedure in
the Italian branch.
For the moment I have write some a procedure that get the phonetic
transcription from maryserver using the MaryClient class.

The essential of this procedure is the following:
------
         MaryClient mary = MaryClient.getMaryClient(new
Address(serverHost, serverPort));
         mary.process(text, "TEXT", "ALLOPHONES", locale, null, null, baos);
         // read into mary data object
         MaryData maryData = new MaryData(MaryDataType.ALLOPHONES, null);
         maryData.readFrom(new ByteArrayInputStream(baos.toByteArray()));
         Document doc = maryData.getDocument();
         TreeWalker phWalker = MaryDomUtils.createTreeWalker(doc, doc,
MaryXML.PHONE);
         Element ph;
         String lTranscription = "";
         while ((ph = (Element) phWalker.nextNode()) != null) {
             lTranscription = lTranscription + ph.getAttribute("p") + ' ';
         }
------

I'm pretty new in OpenMary, and so I would like to know if others
simpler ways or other classes exist to obtain the phonetic transcription
of a sentence.

Thanks in advance,
Fabio.