[mary-dev] syllabisation

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at inria.fr
Mon Aug 1 15:45:58 CEST 2011

Dear Florent,

it is important to distinguish between the concepts of phonetic
syllables and "orthographic syllables" that seem to be output by
LIA_PHON. While it could be argued that the latter are to some degree
motivated by the former, such insight provides little help in this case.

Unless you can somehow convince your phonemizer to give you the phonetic
output with syllable boundaries, I expect you will have to write your
own syllabifier. You could start with a simple rule-based splitter,
using phoneme sonority and applying the maximum onset principle. That
should get you past this particular problem, and you could always
improve the syllabification later.

You might be able to use the Syllabifier in modules.phonemiser for this
purpose.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar