[mary-dev] testing a NLP component

Marc Schroeder marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Thu May 5 17:33:31 CEST 2011

Hi Florent,

how did you run the test? Using "ant tests"? Then there should be an xml
file containing the test results in folder log/test-reports/... and
normally, a server log file in log/junittest.mary.log...

An alternative could be to run the test within Eclipse -- in Eclipse's
package explorer, right click the test class, and select from the
context menu, "Run As"->"JUnit test". this should give you the exception
immediately.

Hope that helps. Keep asking, this is useful to sort out, and document...

Best,
Marc

On 05.05.11 13:15, fxavier at ircam.fr wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thank you very much Marc, it helps a lot. I did everything you just
> mentionned.
>
> So if I understood well, adding those simple lines in the method shouldn't
> cause problems?
>
>         //show output
>         String output = new String(result.toString());
>         System.out.println(output);
>
> Problem is, I don't receive anything in the console, and (with or without
> the added lines) I can't get the green tag proving the test has passed. I
> just have:
>
> Run 0/1   Errors:1
>
> No comment, nothing at all, and there are no errors in the code, so what
> is this error?
>

> Florent
>

> PS: so sorry I'm not able to find any solution on my own...
>

>> Hi Florent,
>>
>> good start, but a few things need fixing.
>>
>> First, in order to test-run a MARY module, for most MARY modules you
>> need to first start the entire MARY system. Also, for log4j to work
>> properly you need to configure it; so you need something like:
>>
>> @BeforeClass
>> public static void startMARY() throws Exception {
>>       if (Mary.currentState() == Mary.STATE_OFF) {
>>           Mary.startup();
>>       }
>>       if (!MaryUtils.isLog4jConfigured()) {
>>           BasicConfigurator.configure();
>>       }
>> }
>>
>> This will avoid the warning message you got from log4j:
>>
>>   >  log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (marytts.IO).
>>   >  log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
>>

>> Second, you are trying to set plain text for input format TOKENS. But
>> TOKENS is a RAWMARYXML format, so when the XML parser tries to make
>> sense of your data, it fails:
>>
>>   >  [Fatal Error] :1:1: Content is not allowed in prolog.
>>
>> The way to avoid this is to enter proper XML data, either using
>> md.setData() or using md.readFrom(). I'll describe below how I usually
>> do this.
>>

>> Third, you are blinding yourself by discarding the helpful exception.
>> NEVER EVER do something like this:
>>
>>   >           try
>>   >           {
>>   >               pr.process(md);
>>   >           }
>>   >           catch (Exception e)
>>   >           {
>>   >               return;
>>   >           }
>>
>> Take a look at some slides where I put down what I think are good
>> practices regarding exception handling:
>> http://mary.opendfki.de/repos/trunk/doc/ErrorHandling.pdf
>>

>> Fourth, the test should verify that the processing result matches
>> expectations. A complex example like "M., 06.67.21.05.41, #, 423 Km, 30
>> €. 20h14." will be difficult for this purpose; maybe here the expected
>> state is not a specific outcome, but rather the fact that the module can
>> process this without crashing at all!

> [...]

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Project leader for DFKI in SSPNet http://sspnet.eu
Team Leader DFKI TTS Group http://mary.dfki.de
Editor W3C EmotionML Working Draft http://www.w3.org/TR/emotionml/
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: