[mary-users] Controlling intonation in MARY

Marc Schröder schroed at dfki.de
Tue Feb 21 09:25:23 CET 2006

Hi Jörg,

(let's hold this type of discussions on the mary-users mailing list --
others might have a similar question, now or in the future, and the
mary-users archive at http://www.dfki.de/pipermail/mary-users/ will
allow people to browse older emails).

You want to create German poems, using MARY to convert GToBI-annotated
text into concrete F0 values. As a consequence, you require the
possibility to accent every other syllable of a phrase.

The prosody concept in MARY normally envisages each word (or token, to
be more precise) to have zero or one accent. The TobiContourGenerator
code therefore goes through all the *tokens* in a phrase that have an
accent, determines the stressed syllable of that token, and attaches the
F0-time targets for the token's accent to that syllable:
http://mary.opendfki.de/browser/trunk/java/de/dfki/lt/mary/modules/TobiContourGenerator.java#L713

Now, you could change that quite easily. As you can see when you look at
the input format to the TobiContourGenerator (DURATIONS_EN or
DURATIONS_DE), the syllables already have an "accent" attribute, which
is currently ignored by the TobiContourGenerator. Instead of iterating
over all *tokens* in the TobiContourGenerator, you could thus iterate
over all *syllables* and test whether they are accented. Skip the
getStressedSyllable() part, you already have your reference syllable...
and you should get the realisation of an accent on every syllable that
carries an accent attribute.

 From what I see, your change would be non-breaking for existing code,
so feel free to submit this as a ticket on the development page, and
contribute your code changes!

Best,

Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany