[mary-users] Mary code compilation

Marc Schröder schroed at dfki.de
Tue Feb 21 16:03:24 CET 2006

Hi Jörg,

make sure you have a recent (>= 1.4) Java SDK installed (try "javac
-version" on the command line). If you don't have it, get it from
http://java.sun.com. You also need the tool "ant", which you can get
from http://ant.apache.org.

Assuming both is installed correctly, you can simply go to the MARY
install directory, and type:

	ant

This should read the file build.xml in the current directory (as a C++
developer, think of it as a Makefile), and execute the default target,
which in this case is "jars". The system will compile all the .java
source files into .class files and package them into mary*.jar files in
the java/ subdirectory. If no errors occur, you should be able to
restart the server and your modified code should be taken into account.
If in doubt, add some

	System.out.println("Hello world");
or

	logger.info("Hello world");

statements into your code.

If you do more than just a few minor edits, I highly recommend using an
integrated development environment like the open source Java IDEs
Eclipse or NetBeans. Eclipse project specification files are included
with the source package.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany