[mary-users] MARY-Server Start Up Problem

Marc Schröder schroed at dfki.de
Tue Jun 6 09:18:38 CEST 2006

Hi Sascha,

if resources are the problem, then it is because of the arctic voices,
which are very greedy for resources in the current implementation.
Indeed, I doubt that you can use these voices with just 256 MB of RAM.
(future implementations hopefully will be more efficient). Do check the
directory MARY TTS/conf to see if you have any arctic voices installed;
simply remove the *arctic*.config files, and try restarting.

If the problem persists: To see where the server gets stuck, look into the
MARY TTS/log/server.log file.

Cheers,

Marc

Sascha Griffiths schrieb:
> Dear Mary-Users,
>
> It would be nice if someone could assist me with my problems concerning
> the MARY TTS System. I have downloaded MARY a while ago onto my Windows
> System (Win XP). There was no problem with the download but
> unfortunately MARY does not do anything. If I start the MARY-Server
> there is nothing happening appart from a message "MARY-Server
> starting...". No matter how long I wait nothing happens appart from my
> system (1,2 GHz and 256 MB RAM) slowing down. It appears I have not got
> the resources to use the System. Is that the case or is there something
> wrong with the MARY System on my PC? Did I just not wait long enough
> (approx. 20Minutes one time)? - As far as I read from the readme.txt
> file there shoud be a message at some point saying MARY-Server started.
> Anyway the MARY-Client confirms that the server has not been started.
> Does anyone know this problem? Would anyone by so kind to explain what I
> can do about this?
>
> It would be very nice if someone could answer this question.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Sascha

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher
DFKI GmbH, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Here. Now. Real, first-person experience. Am I there to witness it?