[mary-users] MARY using debian 64bit linux

Jan Schwarz js at tf.uni-kiel.de
Thu Mar 23 15:31:46 CET 2006

Hi,
I have tried to run the MARY stand-alone version
(mary-standalone-install-3.0.1.jar) under a debian 64bit Linux, but
unfortunately it does not work (complete installation).
Maybe anyone of you can help me or has even tried to run MARY using a
64bit linux distribution.

First I extracted the jar-file and tried to run the system by doing the
given steps: start the maryserver and then the client. But I cannot run
the server due to following error:
MARY server 3.0.1 starting...java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/local/mary_tts/mary_tts/lib/native/libshprot_java.so:
/local/mary_tts/mary_tts/lib/native/libshprot_java.so: cannot open
         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1586)
         at dfki.lt.tc.shallowproc.ShallowProc.<clinit>(ShallowProc.java:64)
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.de.Shprot$ProcessingThread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Module Shprot: Power-on self
test failed.
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.ExternalModule.powerOnSelfTest(ExternalModule.java:265)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.startModules(Mary.java:264)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.startup(Mary.java:384)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.main(Mary.java:449)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Module Shprot cannot process.
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.ExternalModule.process(ExternalModule.java:371)
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.ExternalModule.powerOnSelfTest(ExternalModule.java:263)
         ... 3 more

I supposed, that the project was compiled for a 32bit system, so I have
re-compiled MARY bye using "ant" in conjunction with a 64bit Java SDK
(Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.2-03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build Blackdown-1.4.2-03, mixed
mode)). I have also tried the newest (SUN) Java SDK 5.0, but
unfortunately the 64bit Java VM has a bug. So I have used the Java SDK,
version 1.4.2 provided by Blackdown.

MARY was build successfully and I have tried to start the server again.
Again, an error occured:
MARY server 3.0.1 starting...Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.Exception: Problem starting module TibetanTokeniser
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.startModules(Mary.java:259)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.startup(Mary.java:384)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.main(Mary.java:449)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: InputStream cannot be null
         at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(Unknown Source)
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.tib.Tokeniser.loadSlotDefinitions(Tokeniser.java:145)
         at
de.dfki.lt.mary.modules.tib.Tokeniser.startup(Tokeniser.java:125)
         at de.dfki.lt.mary.Mary.startModules(Mary.java:257)
         ... 2 more

I have tried to localize the "bug", but did not find the problem. I
guessed, that the TibetanTokeniser does not work properly. So, I have
installed MARY by extracting the jar-file again, but I did not choose
the tibetan-files. After re-compiling MARY, another error occured by
starting the server:
MARY server 3.0.1 starting...java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
/local/mary/mary_no_tibet/lib/native/libshprot_java.so:
/local/mary/mary_no_tibet/lib/native/libshprot_java.so: cannot open
[...]

Unfortunately, I cannot localize, why MARY will not work under debian
64bit linux. Has anyone of you already installed and run MARY within a
64bit debian linux? If yes, how did you do this?

Is it generally possible to run MARY using debian 64bit linux or even
any kind of 64bit operating system? If yes, how?

Thanks for your answer in advance!

Best regards,
Jan

Jan Schwarz