[mary-users] Problems with pronunciation of German dentist terms

Brigitte Brigitte.Endres-Niggemeyer at fh-hannover.de
Tue Dec 4 08:58:16 CET 2007

Dear all,

I would need advice for achieving an acceptable pronunciation of
German dentist terms.

The cases of "Gingivektomie" and "Hyperodontie" demonstrate the
problem type. The words are pretty long and include items borrowed
from Greek and Latin. My Sampa and GToBI codes (attached for both
cases) may not be good enough, or there may be other problems, e.g.
that the voices (I use bits2) are not prepared for pronouncing
foreign words.

Some hints to the source of the problem would be helpful, and if
others are more experienced than me in coding Sampa and GToBI, they
might see coding errors that I should avoid.

Great thanks for any good idea!

Brigitte Endres-Niggemeyer