[mary-users] German voice proprietary? Clarification needed.

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Fri Oct 5 12:50:00 CEST 2007

Dear Klaus Knopper,

first of all, thank you for creating Knoppix -- an excellent tool that I
have used many times.

As the main developer and team leader of MARY TTS development at DFKI, I
will try to answer your questions.

In essence, your perception of the current license issue is correct --
there are two parts:

* OpenMary is open source, under a BSD-style license; it encompasses the
core of the system, including the unit selection code, the voice
building and signal processing tools, as well as the Tibetan and most of
the English modules;

* DFKIMary is the part that we cannot make open source for a variety of
reasons; the best we could do for the community was to release it for
download under a research license. It encompasses the German modules and
voices, and the English part-of-speech tagger.

In other words, you are free to use OpenMary in whichever way you like;
to re-distribute, change, etc., even sell. But DFKIMary you cannot reuse
in this way. So indeed, on the basis of the current license, you cannot
distribute a German-speaking MARY TTS system, but an English-speaking
system is no problem. This qualifies your interpretation that "the
software as a whole is non-distributable".

The choice of a BSD-style license for OpenMary was motivated by the wish
to be compatible with both "free" (in the sense of the GPL) and
closed-source (as in DFKIMary) code. Within the limits of our
constraints, this combination was the most liberal we could do.

What kind of time and work would you have liked to invest into the
development and evaluation of the MARY TTS system?

If you have a concrete use in mind, I suggest you contact me directly
(not via the list), and we can discuss possibilities for providing
DFKIMary components under a different license for a specific purpose. I
am not promising anything, but discussing options may be worth the time.

Best regards,
Marc Schröder