[mary-users] How to change pronunciation

Stephen Mack sbmack7 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 14:00:48 CEST 2008

I think the pronunciations are driven by a complex rules set.  Especially
for English with it's terribly inconsistent pronunciation.

Mary still makes a lot of mistakes that baffle me.  For example, for the
word "stronger", she pronounces the g as "j".  I haven't tried her with
other "onger" words.  But I imagine with rules consistency, she'll mistake
those words too.

 Even if there were a way to modify pronunciation.  (I suppose there has to
be, or else how would they have gotten Mary to speak in the first place?)
But I would guess that correcting individual errors like "stronger" would be
quite a challenge.  And you have to be a linguist to understand the
pronunciation classification system.

SteveM