[mary-users] Pronunciation Feedback Helpful?

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Tue Aug 5 10:44:52 CEST 2008

Agron, Stephen,

you guys are really kind, thanks for offering to help.

Adding pronounciation corrections *should* be easy, as it is a task that
will always be necessary.

For German, it is easy already: simply add a line to
	MARY TTS/lib/modules/de/lexicon/userdict.txt
-- the existing entries should explain the format, I guess.

For English and all other languages that will hopefully be supported in
the future, there will be a similar mechanism from MARY 4.0 onwards. We
are currently re-organising everything behind the scenes to make this
and other things straightforward.

If you want to help collect problems at the moment, that is already very
welcome. If you could transcribe directly using the SAMPA alphabet that
we use, it would mean we can easily use your contribution; otherwise it
depends on somebody finding the time to translate the IPA or
Merriam-Webster into SAMPA.

http://mary.opendfki.de/wiki/USEnglishSAMPA

For example, for "stronger" you could send us:

stronger \ 'strON-gr=

Actually, the easiest way to collect such contributions will be a page
on the wiki, so I have created one:

http://mary.opendfki.de/wiki/PronunciationCorrections

Again, many thanks for the willingness to help make MARY better! :-)

Best regards,
Marc

Agron Von Canada schrieb:
> Or we could make a translation table from phonemic script to MBROLA for
> example:
>
> phonemic script:
> \ˈstrȯŋ-gər
>

> MBROLA:
> ; voice name=us1
> s 131 (0,209)
> t 64
> r 64
> O 102 (50,200)
> N 50
> g 116 (50,200)
> r 118 (100,157)
> _ 400
> #
>

> where i think symbol to symbol mapping could be done. I think!
>
> //Agron

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Chair W3C Emotion ML Incubator http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de
Project Leader DFG project PAVOQUE http://mary.dfki.de/pavoque

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: