[mary-users] distorted sound with MBROLA voices

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Wed Aug 27 09:35:09 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot, Luzius, I have merged your fix into the bugfix branch and
the trunk. Indeed the easiest at the moment is to submit reports and
fixes via the mailing list; the TRAC settings are restrictive because we
had just too much spam entered by robots.

Thanks again, best regards,
Marc

Luzius Thöny schrieb:
> Marc Schroeder wrote:
>>

>> Luzius Thöny schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with MBROLA voices: The WAV sound files produced by
>>> MARY are heavily distorted. It's just the MBROLA voices that give
>>> trouble, the other voices work fine.
>>>
>>> It makes no difference whether I play the sound files inside the Mary
>>> Client or save them to disk and play them with a standard audio
>>> player - I get the same distortion.
>>>
>>> I have tried with both Mary 3.5.0 and 3.6.0, and I have tried with
>>> both Java 1.5 and Java 1.6, but I always get the same problem.
>>>
>>> The server is an AMD64 running Ubuntu Linux.
>>>
>>> There's no indication in the logfiles that anything is going wrong
>>> (see below). No errors were reported when installing the MBROLA
>>> voices, either.
>>>
>>> -------------- server.log------
>>> 2008-08-21 15:26:29,215 [RH 1] INFO  MbrolaCaller Starting Synthesis
>>> with command: /opt/MARY_TTS/bin/mbrola -e
>>> /opt/MARY_TTS/lib/voices/de1/de1 - -.raw
>>> 2008-08-21 15:26:29,332 [RH 1] INFO  RH 1       Request handled
>>> successfully.
>>>
>>> -----------------------------------
>>>
>>> In case anyone is interested, here's what the distortion sounds like:
>>> http://www.doink.ch/marytest-de1.wav
>>>
>>> any help is appreciated!
>>>
>>> Luzius
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> that actually sounds like the typical byte swap problem. Apparently we
>> need to tell MBROLA, or our MARY Mbrola code, that the byte order in
>> the files is (the other way round from what it currently thinks it is).
>>
>> Thanks for reporting the problem, I will make it a ticket for MARY 4.0.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Marc
>

> Yeah, it was in fact a big-endian/little-endian problem. I'm attaching a
> (trivial) patch that applies to tag 3.6.0 (not to trunk).
>
> I couldn't figure out how to add a comment/patch to the TRAC ticket (I
> guess I'm not allowed to?), so I'm sending the patch to the mailing
> list, hoping that the list server won't strip it...
>
> Luzius
>
> ==========
>
> Luzius Thöny
> Institut für Computerlinguistik
> Universität Zürich
> Binzmühlestr. 14
> CH-8050 Zürich
> lthoeni at ifi.uzh.ch <mailto:lthoeni at ifi.uzh.ch>
> lucius.antonius at gmail.com

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Chair W3C Emotion ML Incubator http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/emotion
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de
Project Leader DFG project PAVOQUE http://mary.dfki.de/pavoque

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: