[mary-users] Mary and Flex, commit input w/o Socket shutdown

René Bühling buehling at informatik.uni-augsburg.de
Fri Dec 4 15:28:56 CET 2009

Dear all,

I am trying to use the Mary TTS with an Adobe Air/Flex application and I
ran into a problem I have no more solution approaches for. Maybe anyone
here has an idea?

I wrote a Flex/ActionScript 3 application and connected to Mary
successfully through the default flash.net.Socket class. I works fine to
the point where I want to have a sentence verbalized: I send the text
"Hello World \n" via the data socket, but nothing happens. I found out,
that Mary starts execution when I close my data socket, not earlier.
This leads to the situation that the result can not be sent back,
because the socket is closed of course.

It seems that the flash.net.Socket does not have any pendant to the
shutdown method that exists in most other languages' Socket
implementations. Therefore I can not explicitly stop the writing
channel. According to Adobe's documentation I guess that flush() is
meant to do the job, but I think this is not the same as shutdown and it
also does not work here.

Is there any possibility to signal Mary that the submitted data is
complete other than shutdown-ing the write socket?
Or does anybody have experience connecting Mary to Flash?

Thanks and kind regards,
René

--
MSc MA René Bühling