[mary-users] License

Marc Schroeder schroed at dfki.de
Mon Feb 9 19:52:13 CET 2009

Hi,

indeed, MARY TTS 4.0 will ship under the LGPL 3.0.

In essence, the idea is to request "something" back from our
user-developers, without limiting their freedom to use the system
according to their needs. As MARY TTS 4.0 will have extensive support
for building new languages, we think that is only fair.

In a nutshell, the rules are like this:

* MARY TTS should be usable in open source and commercial settings;

* changes to the existing MARY TTS code should be communicated back to
the core development team;

* it should NOT be viral to new or external code or data that you
develop or use with the MARY TTS core system or tools.

So, for example:

* if you fix a bug in the MARY TTS server code, and you distribute your
system, you must distribute the fixed code (and, to be nice, let us know
of the fix...);

* if you add support for a new language, you can do with that new code
whatever you want (make it open source or not, sell it, whatever), but
when you pass it on, you must pass on the core MARY TTS source code
along (but you pass on the sources of your own code only if you want to);

* if a given data file (e.g., a pronunciation lexicon) is released under
the LGPL and you add entries, you must release the "source code" of the
modified lexicon if you distribute that changed data file;

* if you create a new data file (e.g., a new synthesis voice) with the
MARY TTS tools, you are free to use that new resource as you see fit
(make it freely available or for a fee, with or without access to the
original recordings, etc.).

We have tried to think this through carefully enough, and we believe it
should not be a major problem for anyone. If you think we have
overlooked an important aspect, let us know!

Best regards,
Marc

Mirko Vladic schrieb:
> Hello.
>
> I have noticed that the Mary TTS license was changed to LGPL.
>
> Although I now the basic princip of LGPL I would like to know if someone
> uses Mary to build a new language, can the language be used commercialy?
> Do source code modifications if needed have to be given back in the open
> source fashion? What about the files build, lexicon, HMM model,.....?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best reagrds,
>
> Mirko

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Coordinator EU FP7 Project SEMAINE http://www.semaine-project.eu
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net
Team Leader DFKI Speech Group http://mary.dfki.de

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: schroed at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-302-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: