[mary-users] local component installer problems

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
Wed Apr 21 10:43:13 CEST 2010

Dear Brigitte, Katarina, and Malte,

1) When you say "new MacBook Pro", I'm assuming you are referring to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on an x86 architecture or similar. At least that's what I'm using, and I have to say I haven't come across this problem. mbrola-darwin-ppc is the binary that should be used, and it can be run on intel-based macs just as well. Which voices are installed? Is this error always reproducible, or does it occur only some of the time (perhaps related to http://mary.opendfki.de/ticket/264)? Were any of the files (config, etc.) under /Applications/MARY_TTS modified in any way after installation?

2) I'm afraid we don't have the resources to provide per-user support for compilation issues in non-standard environments. MARY development with Eclipse is very straightforward and documented at http://mary.opendfki.de/wiki/Eclipse. It even works under Windows. Alternatively, Apache Ant is also supported. If Malte prefers to use command-line javac and has no experience with setting the classpath correctly, I'm afraid he will have to look elsewhere for help (and even then, support would not be possible without knowing the exact command that produced the errors).

I'm CC'ing this to mary-users in the hope that it may be useful to others.

Best wishes,

/**
 * Ingmar Steiner
 * Researcher, Language Technology
 * German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence
 *
 * Campus D3 1 +1.18
 * D-66123 Saarbrücken
 * Germany
 * Phone: ++49-681-302-5263
 * Email: ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
 *
 * Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
 * Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern, Germany
 * Geschäftsführung:
 * Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
 * Dr. Walter Olthoff
 * Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
 * Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
 * Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313