[mary-users] openMary integration into Gnome/Linux desktop

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 04:33:14 CET 2010

Hi.  I'm Bill Cox, one of the volunteer geeks for Vinux, which is
Linux for the visually impaired (yes, we're all very ugly).  I'm very
impressed with the openMary application.  I'd like to integrate these
voices into Vinux, through a speech-dispatcher driver, which I could
write.  This would enable openMary to be used with Orca and speakup,
among other talking applications.  Is there an openMary guru on this
list I could talk to about the technical challenges?

Just for your enjoyment, here's links to an openMary sample that I
sped up.  TTS engines for the blind that can't go fast suck, so I
wrote a little utility to make speech faster:

Original: http://vinux-project.org/Princess_original.flac
2X faster: http://vinux-project.org/Princess_2X.flac

I made a 6x faster version of this sample, but my blind friend says he
can still understand it.  There's potential here!

Bill