[mary-users] Mary-users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 20

Thorsten Westermann thorstenwestermann at gmx.net
Thu Jun 24 21:56:55 CEST 2010

Dear Ingmar,

with "good prompts" you mean that the sentence should cover all relevant morphemes, don't you?

This is still mystical to me:

Let's take the word "Schnitzel".

Our sentences would have to have "schnit" as the first word, in the middle (to be able to cover this sound as a middle-F0 sound) and at the end of a sentence (to be able to produce this sound with a low F0 sound), right?

Or in other words:
The corpus would have to include

1) schnit.
2) schnit?
3) schnit...

The amount of needed sentences appears astronomical to me.
Even if we would use pitch manipulation to do the F0 thing correctly, we would have to include (just an example)

scha
schb
schd
sche
schf
schg
schi
schj
(...)
schni
schnit
schnet
schnat
schnut
schl

Plus all these short words that cannot be syllabified/ morphemified like "schlecht", "gut", "schnell", "schlicht"... They would all have to be in the corpus.

Am I wrong? I don't know the sentences in the bits 3 corpus, but I cannot imagine that they really covered all these morphemes because it would be such a huge amount of sentences...

And thanks for your patience with all my question.
Speech synthesis always fascinated me, and Mary is really interesting.

MfG,
Westermann