[mary-users] French Voice

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at inria.fr
Mon Aug 8 13:27:04 CEST 2011

Dear Florent,

wow, that sounds very good! I'm no native speaker of French, but to me
the segments sound great (not surprisingly, the HMM-based synthesis is
pretty smooth); the main drawbacks are the voice source (which is way
beyond your control at this point), and the prosody. Many of the
prosodic problems I believe are due to a lack of control at the metrical
level, mainly because the French language components seem to be
oblivious to syllables. Improving that should also fix most, if not all,
duration problems.

Again, very impressive, and I certainly hope that you will be able to
share your code by checking it into the fr-branch!

Best wishes,

-Ingmar