[mary-users] German License Details

Marc Schroeder marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Tue Aug 9 09:17:28 CEST 2011

Hi Timo,

On 08.08.11 19:23, moeTi wrote:
> would be helpful to have a "License" link in the navigation.

Thanks, that's a very good suggestion. Will do when I have time (......)

> So, to be sure:
> If I don't disassemble the code and add an appropriate reference
> (something like "Voice by MARY TTS -- http://mary.dfki.de") I can use it
> in my mobile app? It will be used totally unmodified to speak the user's
> text input, but it is distributed in the app store...
> Thanks for the information!

When you install MARY TTS, you are presented with a series of licenses
to accept: the LGPL for the code, and different voice-specific licenses
depending on which voices you install.

I cannot give you a simple answer like you suggest above; instead,
please read those license agreements.

And just to be sure: for a mobile app, please don't even think about
using our demo server at mary.dfki.de -- we make *no guarantee*
whatsoever that this will be operational at any given time.
If you want to provide a server-based speech service, please install
MARY TTS on your own server. And indeed you're welcome to do that, as
described in those license files during installation...

Best,
Marc

> Greetings,
> Timo
>
>> Hello Timo,
>>
>> where did you find this information? I suspect you are referring to the
>> old MARY 3.x release, which contained non-open-source German components.
>>
>> Since MARY 4.0, German is included in the open source system.
>>
>> If you could tell us where the outdated info is located, maybe we can
>> add a warning that this is no longer relevant to current releases.
>>
>> Thanks and best,
>> Marc
>>
>> On 07.08.11 23:08, moeTi wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've read the license information on Mary, and learned that the german
>>> components have a different license than the others.
>>> After googling for this specific license i learned that I can use it for
>>> non-commercial purposes.
>>> I would like to use the german speech in a mobile app (Android and/or
>>> iOS), and guess this counts as a commercial purpose.
>>> Am I right on this? And is there a way to use it legally (purchase a
>>> license or something like that)?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information!
>>> Timo

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Project leader for DFKI in SSPNet http://sspnet.eu
Team Leader DFKI TTS Group http://mary.dfki.de
Editor W3C EmotionML Working Draft http://www.w3.org/TR/emotionml/
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: