[mary-users] Fwd: Re: Problem starting the mary server

Marc Schroeder marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Mon Jan 2 09:10:04 CET 2012

Hello Simon,

if I understand correctly you installed *all* languages and voices? This
is the likely root cause of the "Out of memory error" you report. The
system will consume much less memory, and start up faster, if you only
install the languages and voices that you need.

Regards,
Marc

On 28.12.11 21:14, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Betreff: Re: [mary-users] Problem starting the mary server
> Datum: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:09:27 +0100
> Von: Simon Eigeldinger<simon.eigeldinger at vol.at>
> An: Ingmar Steiner<ingmar.steiner at inria.fr>
>
> hi ingmar,
>
> under windows i solved the problem by setting the memory usage to 1400
> mb. under linux that seems not to work.
> and yeah under linux its different.
> the program starts to hang when the server wants to come up. then i have
> to abort it with ctrl+c and then it displays the following:
>
> java version "1.6.0_18"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.10) (6b18-1.8.10-0+squeeze2)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)
>
> MARY server 4.3.1 starting as a HTTP server...^C        Exception in
> thread "Thr
> ead-1" java.lang.IllegalStateException: MARY system is not running
>           at marytts.server.Mary.shutdown(Mary.java:393)
>           at marytts.server.Mary$3.run(Mary.java:299)
>

> can you tell me whats wrong here?
> thanks for helping with the windows issue.
>
> greetings,
> simon
>
> Am 28.12.2011 20:19, schrieb Ingmar Steiner:
>> Dear Simon,
>>
>> memory management works differently in Windows, so there you can quickly
>> run out of heap space if too many unit selection voices are installed.
>> Make sure you have enough free memory, and increase the size of the heap
>> space from the default 1 GB to e.g. to 2 GB:
>>
>> bin\maryserver.bat -Xmx2g
>>
>> (Can't test this currently, but either that or just edit the
>> maryserver.bat file appropriately.)
>>
>> If you continue to have trouble, remove or disable the installed voices
>> to the bare minimum, then try again.
>>
>> On your Debian system, I would wager that the error was different. In
>> case you would like to follow up on that, please give details.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> -Ingmar
>>
>> On 12/27/11 01:39, Simon Eigeldinger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had a sighted person helping me now checking the checkboxes. after i
>>> installed all languages and voices i got the following error while
>>> starting the server:
>>>
>>> java version "1.6.0_29"
>>> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_29-b11)
>>> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.4-b02, mixed mode)
>>>
>>> MARY server 4.3.1 starting as a HTTP server...Exception in thread "main"
>>> java.la
>>> ng.Exception: Problem starting module OpenNLPPosTagger
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.startModules(Mary.java:163)
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.startup(Mary.java:307)
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.startup(Mary.java:223)
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.main(Mary.java:518)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>>> at
>>> opennlp.maxent.io.GISModelReader.getParameters(GISModelReader.java:15
>>> 7)
>>> at
>>> opennlp.maxent.io.GISModelReader.getModel(GISModelReader.java:82)
>>> at
>>> marytts.modules.OpenNLPPosTagger.startup(OpenNLPPosTagger.java:111)
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.startModules(Mary.java:161)
>>> ... 3 more
>>> Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.IllegalStateException: MARY
>>> system is n
>>> ot running
>>> at marytts.server.Mary.shutdown(Mary.java:393)
>>> at marytts.server.Mary$3.run(Mary.java:299)
>>>
>>> I'm running Win XP SP 3 with Java JRE 6 update 29.
>>>
>>> I also tried on my debian server to start that installation and it
>>> didn't start either.
>>>
>>> There i use Debian 6 (Squeeze) and OpenJDK JRE 6 headless.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how i can solve that error?
>>>
>>> greetings,
>>> simon

Dr. Marc Schröder, Senior Researcher at DFKI GmbH
Project leader for DFKI in SSPNet http://sspnet.eu
Team Leader DFKI TTS Group http://mary.dfki.de
Editor W3C EmotionML Working Draft http://www.w3.org/TR/emotionml/
Portal Editor http://emotion-research.net

Homepage: http://www.dfki.de/~schroed
Email: marc.schroeder at dfki.de
Phone: +49-681-85775-5303
Postal address: DFKI GmbH, Campus D3_2, Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, D-66123
Saarbrücken, Germany
--
Official DFKI coordinates:
Geschaeftsfuehrung: