[mary-users] Query : Significance of pre-emphasis factor in Spectrogram calculation

Som Bose somiithm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:45:54 CEST 2012

Hello!!

I am developing an audio recognition software that would listen to an audio
for a few seconds and recognize what kind of a song is it. I have compared
Mary-Java API to the standard digital signal processing platform, MATLAB
and the calculation of spectrum calculations are very accurate.

But in the code written to calculate Spectrogram for a signal, there is a
pre-emphasis factor added. I was just curious to know what is it about and
what does it exactly do to the spectrum and why is it frequency dependent?

I have also written a wrapper to calculate the power spectrum without the
pre-emphasis factor. This varies very slowly. What will it be more
advisable to use for me?

--
*Som Bose*
*Second Year Undergraduate Student