[mary-users] [mary-dev] Labelling gaps

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at ucd.ie
Tue Oct 2 16:45:55 CEST 2012

Dear Jerome and Asif,

the "pause" under discussion does indeed occur between syllables, but
not all syllables exhibit this. In fact, what you observe is the
occlusion phase of the [t], characteristic for all plosive phonemes (or
"stops"), during which intraoral pressure builds up. It is followed by
the burst (or release) phase, and the two phases comprise the [t] as it
is spoken in e.g., English.

Your conclusion to label the occlusion phase as part of the [t] is correct.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar

On 01/10/2012 11:44, Jerome Perri wrote:
> Hi Asif,
>
> that is a very good explanation, I agree with it.
> Thank you.
>
> Jerome

> From: bizpole at hotmail.ca
> To: jerome.perri at hotmail.com; ingmar.steiner at ucd.ie; mary-dev at dfki.de;
> mary-users at dfki.de
> Subject: Re: [mary-users] [mary-dev] Labelling gaps
> Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 09:22:39 -0400
>
> Hello Jerome,
> I am not expert but I will try to explain it by logic.
> I will assume it as a syllable pause.(Phonetic Pause)
> The gap or pause between _HO_ and _TEL_ is due to syllables of this
> word. _HO_ is 1st block and _TEL_ is 2nd block of this disyllable word,
> _HO_ is said completely 1st and as one block while a pause came before
> _TEL_ to make a complete word, _TEL_ caused a gap between both blocks,
> so in my opinion gap/pause should be labeled
> as a part of T.
> Thanks
> Asif Mir

Ingmar Steiner
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Next Generation Localisation

Multilingual Ubiquitous Speech Technology (MUSTER)
Computer Science and Informatics
University College Dublin

Speech Communication Laboratory
Centre for Language and Communication Studies
Trinity College Dublin