[mary-users] Letter to phoneme conversion

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
Thu Nov 7 12:43:07 CET 2013

Dear Oliver,

On 11/7/13 2:52 AM, Oliver Adams wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in using MARY to convert a German corpus into phonemes.
> This is simple enough to do using marytts-client.sh, but I'm writing a
> script that I would like to somehow supply the corpus to Mary and get
> the phoneme output. Is this possible?

Absolutely. You can use your favorite scripting language to send a HTTP
request to a local or remote MaryTTS server. As a minimal example,

$ curl http://mary.dfki.de:59125/process -d INPUT_TEXT='Hallo!' -d
INPUT_TYPE=TEXT -d OUTPUT_TYPE=PHONEMES -d LOCALE=de

I recommend running a local MaryTTS server and sending multiple requests
in parallel to save time and bandwidth. Enabling the cache in the server
may help as well.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar