[mary-users] Issues configuring MaryTTS to build a voice

Robert Schuon rschuon at shoutomatic.com
Tue Mar 25 15:09:15 CET 2014

OK, we finally were able to install HTK and snack, and get the
check_install_external_programs.sh script to set every path correctly.

For those that don't know, we are doing this on an iMac, with:

OSX 10.9.2
4GB RAM
Intel processor
MaryTTS-5.1-SNAPSHOT
HTK3.4.1

There were two items on that score that really messed us up.  First, the
makefile sets the precompiler options to null, i.e. CPPFLAGS is set to
empty (CPPFLAGS=).  It SHOULD actually be:

CPPFLAGS=$CPPFLAGS
# So that it carries external path settings into the makefile, because
this issue caused htk not to compile, due to an incorrect path.  I
overrode it in the makefile, but simply reading the CPPFLAGS variable on
the way in would be a lot easier.  In addition, XQuartz is required to
be installed and the path set (which is why I had to override the
precompiler), so the software sees the X11 folder properly.

Second, not only is XCode required for compiling this software, you MUST
download and install the command line tools for your version of XCode!
If you do not, in newer versions of OSX (10.8 and 10.9), the file
malloc.h doesn't exist, causing another compiler error.  I actually had
to go to the Mac store to get it, because XCode did not show command
line tools as an option, even though it is an add on for XCode!

So, in the end, we were able to get all the packages installed, and all
the paths set, like so:

/Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/externalBinaries.config:
# Paths for external programs:
external.awkPath /usr/bin
external.perlPath /usr/bin
external.bcPath /usr/bin
external.tclPath /usr/local/bin
external.soxPath /usr/local/bin
external.htsPath /Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/bin
external.htsEnginePath /Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/bin
external.sptkPath /Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/bin
external.ehmmPath /Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/bin

And EHMM ran to completion last night, on the data in the
/Users/shoutomatic/Documents/MaryTTS/myvoice2 folder.

That's the good news.  Now the bad news.  First, some of the modules
throw errors, but more on that later.  Here is what the
HMMVoiceDataPreparation reports:

Checking paths of external programs
   *Missing path for awk
   *Missing path for perl
   *Missing path for bc
   *Missing path for tclsh
   *Missing path for sox
   *Missing path for hts/htk
   *Missing path for hts_engine
   *Missing path for sptk
   *Missing path for ehmm
Please run MARYBASE/lib/external/check_install_external_programs.sh and
check/install the missing programs

And yes, I set the HMMVoiceConfigure.configureFile path for the
configure file to
/Users/shoutomatic/marytts3/lib/external/externalBinaries.config

So why is the preparer reporting they are not set?

As always, any help is GREATLY appreciated!  And then we can tackle the
errors in the HTK Labeling next.  ;-)

Thanks,

Bob S.
ShoutOmatic.com