[mary-users] MARY 5 + MBROLA?

Ingmar Steiner ingmar.steiner at dfki.de
Thu Nov 20 06:46:28 CET 2014

Dear Jaume,

the MBROLA diphone synthesis back-end relies on sending the MBROLA
control parameters to the native `mbrola` binary corresponding to your
platform. Unfortunately, the MBROLA mainainers seem to have never
updated their code to work on the 64-bit CPU architectures that are now
used everywhere.

Having said that, there is a workaround to use MaryTTS 5+, specifically
the RemoteMaryInterface introduced in that version, with a separate
MaryTTS 4 server that has MBROLA voices installed *and is running on a
supported platform*, i.e., a Linux or 32-bit OS. But the MaryTTS 4
server needs to be built from source using a patch [1] that is in the
`4.x` branch.

We're actually planning to improve the situation and get MBROLA to run
on modern machines, but I can't make any promises when it will be done.

Best wishes,

-Ingmar

[1]
https://github.com/marytts/marytts/commit/fe86110fc0c5b1a482cc1e42554d412d7ac93b9a