[mary-users] How the Unit Concatenation works in MaryTTS

Tristan Hamilton tristan.hamilton at dfki.de
Wed Oct 15 11:47:16 CEST 2014

On 10/15/2014 09:41 AM, Qingsong Liu wrote:
> Hi, All,
>
> I found the following unit concatenation code in marytts:
>
>     /**
>      * Build the audio stream from the units
>      *
>      * @param units the units
>      * @return the resulting audio stream
>      */
>     public AudioInputStream getAudio(List<SelectedUnit> units) throws
> IOException
>     {
>         logger.debug("Getting audio for "+units.size()+" units");
>
>         // 1. Get the raw audio material for each unit from the timeline
>         getDatagramsFromTimeline(units);
>         // 2. Determine target pitchmarks (= duration and f0) for each
> unit
>         determineTargetPitchmarks(units);
>         // 2a. Analyze SelectedUnits wrt predicted vs. realized prosody
>         try {
>             prosodyAnalyzer = new ProsodyAnalyzer(units,
> timeline.getSampleRate());
>         } catch (Exception e) {
>             throw new IOException("Could not analyze prosody!", e);
>         }
>         // 3. Generate audio to match the target pitchmarks as closely
> as possible
>         return generateAudioStream(units);
>     }
>

> I want to know how the concatenation code (step1, step2, step3 as
> above)  build the output audio.
>
> could anyone suggest me some papers about the unit concatenation for
> reading?
>

> Thank you.
>
> Qingsong

Hi Qingsong,

If I understand your question correctly you want to know how the units
passed to this method are selected,i.e how unit-selection synthesis
works. Maybe you should start by looking at a brief overview of the
subject, this wikipedia article should suffice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_synthesis

As for understanding unit selection synthesis in particular, there are a
lot of papers dealing with the subject, a google scholar search returns
a lot of good results, as well as the books and papers referenced on the
wikipedia page.

Hope this helps,
Tristan