[mary-users] Requesting guidance for developing a Hindi TTS

Tony Robinson tonyr at speechmatics.com
Thu Mar 10 08:45:15 CET 2016

Sorry, but I don't know anything about Hindi.   I take it you are stuck
at the text to phoneme part? That is you want to convert words like '
हिन्दी ' to phonemes like 'H 'I n d i'?   If so, perhaps you should look
at borrowing the text to phoneme part from espeak
(https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng)?   To get the example above I
ran: 'echo हिन्दी  | espeak -v hi  -x'.    I'd be happy to run a complete
lexicon through it for you if that would assist your work, but it's not
too hard to install yourself.

espeak is great for the number of languages it covers and the fact that
it runs on very low resources, but the synthesis quality is poor.
MaryTTS has much better synthesis quality and much lower coverage of
languages.   It would be great to see some union of the two with high
quality output and good language coverage.

Tony

On 10/03/16 07:27, Bibek Kumar Bazaz wrote:
> Hello Sir,
>
> I am a Computer Science Student currently in my 8th semester from
> Gauhati University Institute of Science and Technology. I am
> developing a "Hindi Text to Speech converter using marytts" as my
> final semester project.
>
> While developing the project I have got stuck in the transcription of
> Hindi allophones and phonemes. i have tried to collect data on hindi
> allophones by browsing through net and studying some texts. However, I
> am still not able to get some useful data on how to calculate the
> various features of the hindi allophones.
> So, i write you this requesting your to please direct me towards some
> texts that can help me in my project.
>
> Thank you,
> Bibek Kumar Bazaz

Speechmatics is a trading name of Cantab Research Limited
We are hiring: www.speechmatics.com/careers
<https://www.speechmatics.com/careers>
Dr A J Robinson, Founder, Cantab Research Ltd
Phone direct: 01223 794096, office: 01223 794497
Company reg no GB 05697423, VAT reg no 925606030
51 Canterbury Street, Cambridge, CB4 3QG, UK