[Rock-dev] Enview is dead. Long live Vizkit.

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Wed Dec 22 14:40:48 CET 2010

Hi,

I guess that a few of you have already noticed, but I just wanted to
write a few lines on the replacement of enview by the new vizkit package.

Enview was envisaged to fulfill the requirements for visualising envire
Environments. It turned out, that we also had many more visualization
needs, and that enview started to become bloated and didn't really match
the name anymore. For that reason I've moved the base functionality of
enview - mainly the plugin interface - into the gui/vizkit package.

I've also written some documentation on vizkit, but it's currently in
the doc repo, which still needs to be pushed to rock-robotics (hint
anyone?).
What you will find there, is the base interface class, a QtWidget, that
you can derive your own customs widgets from, and a some visualizers for
base types. Visualizers for custom types would usally go where that type
is defined (that's all in the docu).

Some of us had a talk with the simulation guys, and we agreed, that we
should try and aim for a common visualisation. The first step was to be
able to integrate the plugins that we already have into mars, and
eventually have a joint visualisation component. Have a look at github:
http://gitorious.org/rock-gui/vizkit

Currently Vizkit only holds the tools for 3d visualisation components
based on OpenSceneGraph, but I don't see why it shouldn't contain 2d
stuff also (maybe the widget grid stuff?).

Let me know if you want to use it or need help using it.

cheers,

Jakob

--
Jakob Schwendner, M.Sc.