[Rock-dev] ESA Summer of Code status

Anita ana.vazquez.alonso at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:45:18 CEST 2011

Hi everybody!

It's been two weeks working in the ESA Summer of code porting Rock to RTEMS,
and I would like to share with you the things I have achieved so far:

I made a cross compiler (with support for c and c++) for x86 RTEMS. This was
needed since the gcc used to generate binaries with RTEMS, even for x86
targets, can not make use of libraries like glibc, instead newlib (a small
libc for embedded systems) needs to be used.

Then, I started to add RTEMS support in Rock/RTT. I compiled Xerces and
adapted the compilation systems of Boost and OmniORB to make used of the
cross compiler. I still need to do it in a clean and automatic way but, for
now it's working and generating all the neeeded libraries using the x86
cross compiler.

The previous steps have been sucesfully implemented and at this moment I am
already translating orocos system calls to RTEMS. For this, I'm using the
existing GNU Linux RTT implementation as a reference since RTEMS provides
nearly all the POSIX services. Not all of them though, so the translation is
not always straight forward and some adaptation is needed.

Cheers,
Ana