[Rock-dev] Problems while building the Rock tutorial

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon Aug 22 15:14:00 CEST 2011

On 08/22/2011 02:37 PM, Christian Rauch wrote:
>>> In "Create a C++ library package", the name of the source files is not
>>> very clear. You can only retrieve this by using git manually. Besides
>>> this, the source files from the tutorial and that ones from git seem to
>>> be different in several places.
>>>
>>> When compiling the package finally, following error occurs:
>>>
>>> .../basics_tutorial/message_driver/src/MessageDriver.cpp:20:31: error:
>>> ‘const struct base::Time’ has no member named ‘toString’
>>>
>>> because there is no "toString" in "time.h".
>
> Will this be updated in rock on gitorious?
Can you be more specific about what you refer to with "this" ?

>>> Maybe someone of you know, how to get the tutorials to build correctly.
>> Which flavor of Rock are you using ?
>
> autoproj tells me I am on 'next' so I changed the branch to 'master'
> manually in the manifest file. But where can I change this within
> autoproj itself? It still keeps saying "rock.tutorials is neither a
> package nor a package set name", because 'next' is still used internally.
autoproj reconfigure

Changing it in the manifest won't have the desired effect at all.

>> You still need to use master. stable and next do not yet contain the
>> changes that have been added for the tutorials (they will be open for
>> widespread usage only when we have released)
>

> Suggestion: Maybe someone could include an "unset ROS_ROOT
> ROS_PACKAGE_PATH" in the autoproj update and build script as one always
> has to call this if one is using ROS also and wants to update it rock
> sources.
autoproj and most rock packages can build fine with ROS_ROOT and
ROS_PACKAGE_PATH set. The problem is with the orocos toolchain which
fails to build if they are defined *and* the toolchain is being built
under autoproj. The PCL will probably also fail as they have a lot of if
(ROS_ROOT) ... else() ... endif() blocks

The issue with unsetting it in the build system is that the general
behaviour will highly depend on the order in which they load the
environment-setting scripts. If they load autoproj's env.sh and THEN the
ros env script, then some packages will fail to build if they are built
manually. Having an error makes sure that they know that there is an
issue. I don't know what would be the general consensus on this, though ...
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics

!!! Achtung, neue Telefonnummer!!!