[Rock-dev] Finding a common robot body coordinate system

Christopher Gaudig christopher.gaudig at dfki.de
Mon Feb 14 15:38:45 CET 2011

Hi!

As there seem to be at least three different coordinate systems in use
by people I talked to, I would like to start a discussion which CS we
should declare as a "common standard" for rock. The ones used so far
seem to be:

a) x rightward, y forward, z upward (used in at least one DFKI project
and at my alma mater)

b) x forward, y rightward, z downward (ISO 1151 / DIN LN 9300 standard
for aircraft, SNAME 1950 standard for marine vehicles, used in Fossen:
Marine Control Systems)

c) x forward, y leftward, z upward (used in at least one DFKI project
and for automotive applications)

I would like to find out what you guys think about these or if you have
additional suggestions. Does any of the three seem more (or less)
intuitive to you?

I know that choosing a common CS will mean some work for some people,
but will later save lots of debugging time I guess.

In addition I'd like to find out what you think about the use of the terms

surge (fwd/back)
sway (left/right)
heave (up/down) and

roll (rotate about surge axis)
pitch (about sway axis)
yaw (about heave axis)

to describe robot movements without having to remember where x points to.

Looking forward to hearing from you
Christopher

--
Christopher Gaudig
Underwater & Space Robotics

Phone: +49 (0)421 178 45-4119
Fax:   +49 (0)421 178 45-4150
E-Mail: christopher.gaudig at dfki.de

German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence