[Rock-dev] [Discussion] usage of infinity for "no-data" tagging

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Fri Jul 29 09:58:56 CEST 2011

On 07/28/2011 02:10 PM, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> I've created a proposal for a guideline page for that
>
>     http://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/Standards/RG3
>
> Please discuss. I'll add the relevant bits to base when we agree on the
> proposal.

ok for me regarding unset values and the usage of NaN.
I don't agree with the usage of infinity though. Infinity has certain
properties that do not hold true for an "unknown value".
I've done some tests on inf, because I wasn't 100% sure if my
assumptions hold, but they do:
a : 1
inf : inf
minf : -inf

a < inf : 1
a > inf : 0
a < minf : 0
a > minf : 1
a / inf : 0
a / minf : -0
a * inf : inf
a * minf : -inf
inf * -5.0 : -inf
inf / -5.0 : -inf

I agree with the usage of inf in covariance matrices (since it's not an
unknown value there), but not the example with the vector. If you really
don't want to represent unknown values in a separate variable I would
even prefer nan in this case.
The thing is you can do normal calculations with inf and even get a real
number (0) out of it in case you divide another number by inf. Not what
I would expect from an unknown number.

Jakob

--
Jakob Schwendner, M.Sc.