[Rock-dev] Documentation policy ...

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Mon May 16 11:23:44 CEST 2011

We right now have 3 places for documentation:

  * the webgen-based documentation (from which rock-robotics.org is
    generated)
  * doxygen documentation for packages
  * the trac wiki

I'm looking for a way to set up a policy -- i.e. what should go where ?
  * package documentation
  * general issues
  * ...

The plusses and minusses of each from my POV:

  * wiki:
    (+) easy to edit text
    (-) hard to edit figures: the whole attachment system is pretty
        annoying. If you want to edit a figure, you need to download the
        attachment, edit it, re-attach it.
    (-) Internet connection needed to get the documentation (important
        when on the field ...)
    (-) Registration needed.
  * webgen:
    (-) need a checkout to edit text and figures
    (+) once you have a checkout, editing is very easy and can be done
        offline
    (-) no immediate display: you have to wait one day to get it pushed
        to the website, or run rake yourself and look at the result).
    (+) on the package documentation side, we could have an integration
        of package-specific webgen pages that get displayed in the
        package directory.
    (+) no registration needed.
  * doxygen:
    (+) people know doxygen already.