[Rock-dev] <base/motion_command.h>

Chris Müller ruunhb at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:35:40 CET 2011

On 08.11.2011 13:51, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> You need the time at which the actual motors are actuated according to
> your motion command. Which is not what the motion command will provide
> you. That was the general idea about not timestamping those: these
> timestamps are not strictly usable for estimation.
> anyway, as it would allow the measurement of control loop latencies.
>
> However, for the purpose of a motion model, I am wondering why you
> don't use the motors reported PWM (since you are using the hbridges,
> you can do that). That would remove the controller => actuator driver
> => actuator latency, and work regardless of the controller / control
> method being used (and, for instance, of the presence of ramping).

That makes sense, of course.

> If your estimator is deployed in the RT scheduler, does not do an
> memory allocation, and is using a suitable priority, then you could
> neglect the latency and create the timestamp on input.

That sounds interesting. I know this is not part of the actual question
anymore. Is it something I need to configure on the operating system? Or
can i control that in one of our runtime system (orocos.rb, roby). I
know this not part of the actual question anymore. Its only for
extending my knowledge about the capabilities of the framework.

Chris