[Rock-dev] Autoproj : change the build dir of a package

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Fri Nov 18 16:16:55 CET 2011

On 11/18/2011 03:43 PM, Charles Lesire-Cabaniols wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to change the build dir of one of my packages.
>
> While my package is built in <package>/build, I would like to build it
> in <package> directly... it is certainly a "bad practice", but it is an
> autotools package from an archive that does not accept to be built
> outside of the source dir.
> The library is LWPR for people using it
> (http://www.ipab.informatics.ed.ac.uk/slmc/software/lwpr/).
>
> I have not found anything related to the build dir in Autobuild::Package
It is builddir= in

   http://rock-robotics.org/api/autobuild/Autobuild/Configurable.html

(It's not in Package as general packages don't have to be built)

However, the current implementation does NOT accept empty build
directories. The reason is that when you do an autoproj rebuild, the
whole builddir gets deleted which would have dire consequences in your
case (see #prepare_for_rebuild). Moreover, the build currently excludes
the builddir directory to check if a package source has been updated,
which you can't do anymore if there are build byproducts -- you would
need to list the patterns carefully.

If you feel like it, I would be happy to accept a patch that carefully
tests for empty builddirs before doing something potentially dangerous
like FileUtils.rm_rf ...
--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Space & Security Robotics