[Rock-dev] MARS goes Rock

Malte Römmermann malte.roemmermann at dfki.de
Wed Nov 30 17:55:17 CET 2011

Am 30.11.2011 um 17:34 schrieb Matthias Goldhoorn:

> On 30.11.2011 17:28, Janosch Machowinski wrote:
>> On 30.11.2011 16:37, Malte Römmermann wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> we are going to extend rock with some simulation libraries. Some of these libraries currently have rather unfortunate names so we also want to take this opportunity to rename some of them. The following list includes the libraries with their current library names, a proposal for new names under which they would go open source and a one sentence description for each. We are not that creative concerning the library names, so if you have suggestions we are open for discussions. ;-)
>>>

>>> lib_manager ->   lib_manager
>>>   - allows dynamic loading of libraries and gives access to the libraries
>>>
>>> cfg_dfki ->   cfg_manager
>>>   - loads and saves configuration files using yaml-cpp and gives access to configuration parameters
>>>
>>> data_broker ->   data_broker
>>>   - a library to simply exchange data between different independent moduls/libraries, including a timed callback handling of producing and receiving data
>>>
>>> gui_core ->   main_gui
>>>   - a class implementing a QMainWindow with an interface to extend the menu, toolbar, and to add QWidgets to the gui
>> This sounds like a good candidate for a merge with gui/vizkit, which
>> (guessing from your description) more or less provides the same
>> functionality.

Maybe lets meet to discuss merging main_gui to vizkit. So far, as I understand viskit hat dependencies to qt, osg and yaml and the main_gui was designed to only depend on qt because I also have applications where I use the main_gui but no simulation or 3D vis at all.

>>> mars_core ->   mars_core
>>>   - basic library for MARS including MARS data types and enums
>>>
>>> mars_graphics ->   mars_graphics
>>>   - includes the 3d graphics implementation of MARS
>>>
>>> mars_sim ->   mars_sim
>>>   - the simulation library itself, which can also be used without any gui (to load meshes there is still a dependeny to mars_graphics, we are going to remove that one soon)
>>>
>>> mars_gui ->   mars_gui
>>>   - a bunch of qt widgets to control the simulation and access the simulation data
>> Hm, what about mars_widget or mars_widget_collection. That would match
>> the existing naming scheme a bit better.

Maybe abc_widget is a good idea. ;-)

>>> mars_app ->   mars_app
>>>   - installs a binary, loading the MARS libraries to use MARS as standalone application
>>>
>>> console_dfki ->   log_console
>>>   - a qt widget to print messages piped through the data_broker
>> This sounds like everyone could use it. What about putting it under
>> gui/console_widget ?

Generally, the idea is, that everyone can use the console also without any MARS. Which is also true for the data_broker, the main_gui, cfg_manager, etc.

>>> gui_cfg ->   cfg_manager_gui
>>>   - a qt widget to access all configuration data
>>>
>>> data_broker_widget ->   data_broker_gui
>>>   - a qt widget to access all data known of the data_broker
>> The old name, data_broker_widget, actually matches the rock naming
>> scheme better ;-)
>>> ode ->   ode_mars
>>>   - currently we use a patched version of ode, if we include the patch into our build process (autoproj) we don't need this library. Maybe I also get along without the patch, I will check that soon.
>>> Best,
>>>   Malte
>>>

> Why there are 2 gui packages?
> there is an main-gui and mars-gui?.

main_gui provides the management of widgets for a qt application, while mars_gui provides the widgets for the simulation

> Could the world visualization not as janosch already mentioned not part
> of vizkit and the real-simulation-depending part an own package (or
> subpackaged folder from mars itself).

exchanging the whole "world visualization" would mean a big effort due to different software concepts of vizkit and mars_graphics. I think vizkit plugins can be easily integrated into the current MARS framework, but the other way around means more effort.

> I don't see the point to overseperate the whole simulation?

We had a software that was completely seperated. The libraries we have now, at least can be used within the Rock framework. ;-)
Merging the two frameworks is not a job for one day and I try to do it without loosing any functionality on the way.

> Also why is "Log_console" not part of the gui?
> If it is special to the data_broker it could also be a sub-part
> (library) which is in the data_broker package itself.

The log_console can also be used as library without data_broker. I am not sure were we go with that library, since two days it is not really a dependency of MARS any more.

> Matthias
>
> --
>  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn
>  Unterwasserrobotik
>
>  Hauptanschrift Standort Bremen:
>  DFKI GmbH
>  Robotics Innovation Center
>  Robert-Hooke-Straße 5
>  28359 Bremen, Germany
>
>  Phone: +49 (0)421 178 45-4193
>  Fax:   +49 (0)421 178 45-4150
>  E-Mail: robotik at dfki.de
>
>  Weitere Informationen: http://www.dfki.de/robotik
>  Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
>  Firmensitz: Trippstadter Straße 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>  Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster
>  (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
>  Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>  Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313
>  Sitz der Gesellschaft: Kaiserslautern (HRB 2313)
>  USt-Id.Nr.:    DE 148646973
>  Steuernummer:  19/673/0060/3

Malte Römmermann
Simulation