[Rock-dev] utilrb and c(xx)flags?

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Fri Sep 16 18:38:16 CEST 2011

On 09/16/2011 05:38 PM, Martin Fritsche wrote:
> Sylvain Joyeux schrieb:
>> Please answer to rock-dev. Thanks.
> Ooops, sorry
>
>> The best option would be to make sure that ruby-extension-building takes
>> into account CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. Doable, but in principle not trivial.
> Is this doing something special that differs from a normal build? From
> my unterstanding the content of the variables should not change if you
> leave them alone and therefore they are passed to the compiler.
Unfortunately, yes.

Ruby packages follow "the ruby way". Which means that the chain is

   shell => Rakefile => extconf.rb (ruby script) => Makefile

In principle, everything should be fine. However, the CXXFLAGS and
CFLAGS environment variables are *not* passed on by the generated
Makefile. It only "listens" to cflags (lowercase)

I'm thinking that I will change the Rakefile of involved packages to
pass CFLAGS / CXXFLAGS to the underlying Makefile.