[Rock-dev] draft for a new base type SonarScan

Chris Mueller christoph.mueller at dfki.de
Wed Feb 22 13:20:07 CET 2012

Am 21.02.2012 16:36, schrieb Alexander Duda:
> Hi
>
> I would like to add a new type SonarScan to rock base types.
> The idea behind this new data type is that:
> * imaging sonars can directly store their data
> * support for sector scan sonars (n x SonarBeams = 1 x SonarScan)
> * support for the transformer in the case of sector scan sonars
>    * time stamp for each stored sonar beam
> * memory layout matches normal images
>    * resize
>    * filtering
>    * multi-resolution
>
> A draft + unit test can be find on the branch sonar_scan.
>
> Any comments are welcome.
> Alex

I think, It's a great idea to have a standard type for a spatial
representation of an sonar image.ns
Especially the option for generating and extraction of a SonarScan from
SonarBeams.

I would welcome this, because:
  * standards helps to develop our tools and task interfaces
  * it won't currently affect other components and log datas
(introducing a new type is probably much easier than changing one)

I see you also already provide direct support for transforming a
SonarScan into a cv::Mat.

What do you think about providing support also for base::samples::Frame?
Maybe we can reuse some tools
for vizualization for the beginning.