[Rock-dev] Question about iostream-based logging in base/types

Jan Vogelgesang jan.vogelgesang at dfki.de
Thu Jan 26 14:30:25 CET 2012

On 26.01.2012 12:09, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> The following lines made me wonder:
>
>   #ifdef Release
>   #undef BASE_LOG_PRIORITY
>   #define BASE_LOG_PRIORITY 9999
>   #endif
>
>   #define LOG_STREAM(PRIO) if(PRIO > BASE_LOG_PRIORITY) ; else ....
>
> Since priority seems to go higher when the messages are less important
> (!), it seems that you turn ON every messages when Release is defined,
> which is pretty strange

you are right, it is a bug.

> In general, isn't it bad practice to redefine BASE_LOG_PRIORITY anyway ?
> If we do want to force it, then shouldn't it leave at least the WARN
> messages and higher out ?

I tried to implement the same semantics as logging_printf_style.h -
which is: no logging at all when "Release" is defined.
Maybe we should discuss this issue on the next framework meeting
together with Thomas.

Either way: redefining BASE_LOG_PRIORITY is of course bad practice, i
will change this to an implementation similar to logging_printf_style.h

Thanks for your advice!
jan

--
Jan Vogelgesang