[Rock-dev] Rock/ROS integration, part 1

Rock rock-dev at dfki.de
Fri Nov 2 05:21:30 CET 2012

Rock

Rock/ROS integration, part 1

http://blog.rock-robotics.org/post/34755979078

So  heres the first of, hopefully not so many posts, about the Rock/ROS
integration. Namely, we can now (almost) publish ports from Rock components
on ROS  without changing a line of code in existing Rock components.

This first part is about getting the Rock data on ROS topics. Direct
benefit for Rock: Python, and LISP programmers can read and write data
from/to ports of Rock components out of the box. Of course, it is only a
first step.

So, where are we so far? oroGen can generate ROS message descriptions and
the transport compile and work fine. The convertion code between the Rock
data structures and ROS messages is not done yet (i.e. the messages are
currently empty at runtime).

Demonstration:
[~/dev/rock-ros]% cat test.rb
require 'orocos'
Orocos.run 'message_producer::Task' => 'task' do
   task = Orocos::TaskContext.get 'task'
   task.configure
   task.start
   task.messages.create_stream(Orocos::TRANSPORT_ROS, '/test')
   sleep
end
[~/dev/rock-ros]% ruby1.9.1 test.rb
[~/dev/rock-ros]% rxgraph

Next step: convert between existing Rock types and existing ROS messages.
I.e. being able to make tf and base/samples/RigidBodyState talk to each
other.

--
You are subscribed to email updates from "Rock."

Email delivery powered by Google.