[Rock-dev] Scheduler warning and realtime

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Thu Nov 8 16:44:50 CET 2012

On 11/08/2012 04:28 PM, Pierre Letier wrote:
> In theory, there is nothing special to do with oroGen. In practice, we
> have not done any Xenomai work in ages, so I don't really know. We
> moved to using Linux with the RT patchset, which gives good RT
> performance without the Xenomai caveats (i.e. the normal linux-based
> monitoring / debugging tools work out of the box)
> Interesting, do you have any documentation / link to do that (I am
> note linked to XENOMAI) (see last question).
The main resource for Linux-RT stuff is
    http://www.osadl.org/

Other than that, there has been some discussions about this on the
orocos-users mailing list a while ago.
>>> - How the GUI UI have to be managed if developped on the same
>>> computer ? (of course not realtime)
>> I don't really understand that question ...
> I use the Ruby script to call and configure/connect some graphical
> user interface (control buttons, status, plots....). If I use the
> deployer to specify the realtime behavior of some tasks, may I have
> issues with the graphical rendering (I understand it will depend on
> what I do with the realtime tasks) or could the graphical rendering be
> a problem for the tasks
The only issue is that the GUI could get starved since the RT tasks are
of higher priority. Other than that, the two are cleanly isolated thanks
to RTT.
>>> - is there any documentation/tutorial about developping orogen
>>> components on realtime platforms (like Xenomai)
>> There was not, but now there is. I quickly wrote this without
>> testing, so it might not be as accurate as one might like ;-)
>>
>>    https://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/Toolchain/RTPlatforms
>>
> The link is password protected.
Removing the 's' is enough. I forget to do it more than half of the time ...

   http://rock.opendfki.de/wiki/WikiStart/Toolchain/RTPlatforms

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher