[Rock-dev] Need unset ROS_ROOT to compile rock elements

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Wed Nov 21 11:04:03 CET 2012

On 11/21/2012 10:59 AM, Pierre Letier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I want to compile a rock element (library, component,...) in e new
> opened terminal, I receive the following error: you cannot build Rock
> with ROS_ROOT / ROS_PATH set. Unset it and try again."
>
> I use then ünset ROS_ROOT" to allow compilation.
>
> Could you explain me this error and if there is something todo with the
> ROS installation ?
The build system used in the orocos packages "switches" to using
rosbuild if ROS_ROOT is set and the package is in ROS_PACKAGE_PATH.
Since it really caused issues before for rock users, we completely
forbid the usage of ROS_ROOT while building Rock stuff.

The recent changes in RTT plus recent changes in autoproj might improve
this in the near future.

Anyways, what you have to do is:
   - not source ROS's setup.sh automatically, but manually when you want
to use ROS, and do the same for Rock
   - create a new console to work on either Rock or ROS