[Rock-dev] Fwd: RE: Avalon's Middleware

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Fri Sep 14 09:13:38 CEST 2012

Hello Jan. Thanks for the feedback and the interest in the project !

http://www.rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/about/index.html
http://www.rock-robotics.org/stable/documentation/about/others.html

> I would say that first; your strong point might be the AUV world.
> Currently, there are very few components related to the AUV in ROS. I
> think the second strong point is the use of Orocos which enable better
> control of the application (more suitable for fine control when
> resources are lacking). However, the cost of better control is higher
> complexity.

On that front, it might be of interest for you that we are currently
helping MARUM to run a new AUV (and in the future, all their systems)
using Rock. The drivers and control software will be released as open
source.

[snip new module creation examples]
In practice, component creation is a process that will take 2% of the
overall development time. It is, as you point out, very important to
attract new users (and we are interested in comments on how to improve
it), but has very little effect on the overall development times.

> ROS runs a parameter server which you can initialize using a ".yaml"
> file. The parameters are accessible through the functions
> "setParam/getParam. The difference with Rock is that the server is
> centralized but you handle one config per component which is maybe
> better.

You also have access to parameters directly on the components through
the property interface (for e.g. change parameters at runtime).

> The components are naturally connected through topic names. The
> connection graph can be even remapped using ROS remapping capability.
> However, this is not necessarily good since the connection graph is
> not necessarily defined in a single file.  In the case of Rock all the
> interconnections are visible in the same file.

I would also add: the developer of a node can anytime add a new topic.
If not careful (or -- in case of reusing nodes, if he/she does not know
about your system), the new topic name might clash with an existing one
and boom. Additionally, having explicit connections allows to disconnect
dataflow and reconnect it. The first one is important for safety
reasons, as one can isolate a rogue component from the rest of the
system. The second one is the cornerstone of behaviour switching in Rock
(we switch behaviours by starting/stopping new components and rewiring
the connections).

> I personally find ROS more ergonomic but Rock having more potential.
> To be honest I still didn't use Rock but it is the impression I have
> from reading the documentation.
>
> I have some questions with regards to the modules you offer:
>
> ·What is the list of communication devices you handle:
> Serial/I2C/CAN/Bluetooth?

Depends on what you mean by "handle".

The base class for all our device drivers can handle serial and
bluetooth (since bluetooth is seen as a network device on linux). There
is a dedicated CAN component for CAN devices. On top of that, for
underwater systems, we have drivers for the schilling DTS.

> ·Do you have a simulator?

As Thomas mentioned, we have our own simulator that just got released as
open source. However, while it kind-a works for underwater applications,
it is not ideal. We did look pretty hard for a good open source
underwater simulator, but never found one. Would you have any pointer in
that respect ?

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher