[Rock-dev] make moving speed configurable in orogen-servo_dynamixel / dynamixel

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Wed Dec 11 12:01:56 CET 2013

Hi Dennis,

I already envisaged this scenario when I wrote the module, but did not completely implement it.

There is a type in base, which is called base::JointLimits, which I wrote so that you could set the software limits in modules like e.g. the servo dynamixel.

I my oppinion, here is what you should do to get what you want:

-          Add a “joint_limits” property to the servo_dynamixel module, of the typee base::JointLimits

-          Set the moving_speed and the torque limit in the configure hook according to the limits in your property. Assume max value if there are no limits given for the joints.

-          On each command that you receive, you can run a validate over the limits, to check if your input values are fine. I guess it would be good to have it configurable to what should happen if there are not (e.g. throw, warn, or whatever)

The JointLimits has never been used before I think. It may have some rough edges… Let me know if you are unsure about certain things, or want to change something.

Cheers,

Jakob