[Rock-dev] Change in MaxMsgSize

Sylvain Joyeux sylvain.joyeux at dfki.de
Wed Dec 11 12:15:18 CET 2013

The MaxMsgSize governs the maximum size the CORBA ORB will accept, i.e.
anything above that value will end up being rejected by the CORBA layer
even before RTT has a chance to see it.

The default for omniorb is 4MB, which is low when big images and/or maps
are sent around.

After asking on the omniorb mailing list, it turns out that the
parameter is a way to protect against denial of service. It has no
effect on the ORB's memory consumption, which is driven by how big the
messages actually are. Given how we use CORBA, I think we would have
much bigger problems than being resource starved (like: there is
currently no security in the protocol). I've therefore set the default
to the maximum admissible value (2GB).

Unless someone objects, after a period of testing in master, I'll
backport it to next.

--
Sylvain Joyeux (Dr.Ing.)
Senior Researcher