[Rock-dev] make moving speed configurable in orogen-servo_dynamixel / dynamixel

Jakob Schwendner jakob.schwendner at dfki.de
Wed Dec 11 14:25:15 CET 2013

> Our policy is:
> * stop the component
> * reconfigure it via properties
> * restart the component
>
> In some special cases if there is no other way than changing properties
while
> the component is running the dynamic properties should be used.
> Can you please point out why this is the case here?

The use case would be to change the max speed value for the servo, without
having to restart. E.g. your source component only provides positions, but
not speeds, and you want to set the speed depending on e.g. some sort of
system state. Using an input port here wouldn't do justice to the nature of
the data, I think. As Matthias pointed out, this seems to be a safe thing to
do now, and is meant for exactly these cases.

Cheers,

Jakob