[Rock-dev] Commit "Users" are Roboters -- valid?

Matthias Goldhoorn matthias.goldhoorn at dfki.de
Tue Feb 19 10:32:07 CET 2013

On 19.02.2013 10:21, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
> On 02/19/2013 09:37 AM, Matthias Goldhoorn wrote:
>> I just stumbled over
>> http://rock-robotics.org/stable/changelog/stable-update-20130205.html
>>
>> There were commits from " 59b7b7d 6 months ago DAGON PC 1 updated
>> gpsd_test.rb" e.g. in drivers/orogen/gps
>>  From my feeling it's really strange that "Systems" can commit
>> something, i't even confusing if you really search someone.
> Agreed, unfortunately, enforcing that all commits are properly done by
> people is a bit hard, given that more than a few develop on shared
> accounts on robots.

Maybe we can create the recommendation/guidelines:

1. Don't do commits from an robot, if you do commits please use
--author="Your Name <your at email.com>"
2. Please set as the default user the System-Responsible Person as user.
     This Prevents if you forget to set the --author that an "unknown"
person is the Commiter.
     In this Case the System-Resposible should be the right person to
contact
3. For Spacegit (dfki-internal repository) deny creation of "robot"
accounts?
     This make tracking even harder, because even the commiter (not only
author) is unknown.
4. For 3, create an autopproj option to pull from another System (dev):
     Like "autoproj update --host system-name.local:dev/ [package_name]"

Greetings,
Matthias

--
  Dipl.-Inf. Matthias Goldhoorn