[Rock-dev] gui/vizkit (master) will be updated on Monday

Alexander Duda Alexander.Duda at dfki.de
Wed Mar 6 16:30:15 CET 2013

Hi,

all GUIs being part of gui/vizkit will be updated to use Orocos::Async
API next Monday morning. By then there will be also some documentation
available on rock-robotics.org.

Main features of Orocos::Async:
     * event driven design (on_data,on_reachable,on_unreachable,on_error
...)
     * asynchronous inspection of remote tasks
     * asynchronous polling ports
     * auto reconnect
     * sharing port connections across all data consumer of the same
ruby process

This update is upward compatible to all higher level calls like:
      Vizkit.display
      Vizkit.connect_port_to
      task.port.connect_to widget

Nevertheless, all GUIs using the following underlying classes have to be
updated to Orocos::Async API:
     Vizkit::TreeModeler
     Vizkit::ReaderWriterProxy
     Vizkit::ReaderProxy
     Vizkit::WriterProxy
     Vizkit::PortProxy
     Vizkit::TaskProxy

Old:
     task = TaskProxy.new("my_task")
     task.port("frame").connect_to widget
New:
     task = Orocos::Async.proxy("my_task")
     task.port("frame", :type =>
Type::Base::Sample::Frame::Frame).connect_to widget
Or:
     task = Orocos::Async.proxy("my_task")
     port =  task.port("frame")
     port.wait # block until the port is connected and the type was
discovered
     port.connect_to widget
Or:
    widget.connect_to_task "my_task" do |task|
        connect PORT("frame"),SLOT(:data)
    end

Greets
Alex